Red Beans are great sources of protein, iron, fiber, and antioxidants that support our body.
One tasty way to eat Red Beans is to make the Red Beans soup.
Have these ingredients prior to cooking:
- 1 cup sweet red beans, soaked for 2 hours
- 3/4 cup rice, soaked for 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 8 cups water
- sugar (to taste)
- sweet rice balls (optional)
- In a pot, parboil beans for a few minutes.
- Then, discard the water.
- Add 8 cups of water and boil until beans are completely soft, about 2-3 hours.
- Save about 2 cups of liquid and drain the rest of the beans into a strainer.
- Apply salt to beans and mash the beans in the strainer set on top of a bowl.
- Pour new water over beans and continue mashing, until you have about 7 cups of liquid.
- Discard skins in strainer.
- Add reserved boiled liquid to mashed bean liquid.
- Let the liquid stand undisturbed until bean solids settle.
- Add rice and most of bean liquid (without bean solids) to a pot.
- Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to simmer.
- Cook about 8 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Add bean solids to jook in spoonfuls, stirring often so that it does not burn.
- Serve hot bowls of jook with sugar so that diners can adjust it to their own sweetness level or salt for a savory porridge.
From http://koreanfood.about.com/ and search red bean soup
by Paul Yoon